Historic Downtown Walking Tour
The local Green County Leaders Program of 2018/2019 project was established to do a virtual historic walking tour downtown Monroe.
Turner Hall of Monroe
1217 17th Avenue - Monroe, WI 53566
Steeped in the Swiss traditions and history of south-central Wisconsin, the Turner Hall of Monroe is a non-profit 501(c)(3) center of Swiss heritage and community activities. Established in 1868, it is believed to be the only Turner Hall of Swiss origin left in the United States, and is likewise one of the oldest, continuously-running Swiss entities in this country. The building, a Swiss Emmenthal-style chalet designed by German architect Max Hanisch, is listed on both the National and State Registers of Historic Places and is handicapped-accessible.
An authentic Old World Ratskeller Restaurant, an elegant Grand Hall with the area's largest wooden floor, and a "retro" 8-lane Family Bowling facility are all part of the Turner Hall of Monroe. Its Swiss Heritage Series features an annual line-up of programs, concerts and events that perpetuate and nurture all things Swiss.